Licenses and Permits


Licenses, Permits, and Applications 

Please note some documents may still show our old address. We are located in City Hall, 2nd Floor, 400 Robert D. Ray Drive, Des Moines, Iowa.

Traffic & Transportation issues a varied assortment of licenses & permits such as:  
   Parking Permits:

Special Parking Permit Instructions

             Special Parking Permits (min. cost $25.00; parking metered spaces add extra costs)

Residential Parking Permits (issued for a defined area around Locust /Grand & 13th Street)

Areaway Permits(Encroachment)                              ROW Permits

House Moving Permits:

Annual House Moving Company Licenses and individual House Moving Permits are only issued to House Movers with current annual licenses in Des Moines.

General House Moving Information

Small Moving Permits:

Click here to download an application and instructions for the following permits:

Single Trip Moving Permit ($10)                                                        Multi-Trip Moving Permit ($200)

Annual Oversize-Overweight Vehicle Permit ($300)                      Annual Oversize Vehicle Permit ($25)



The City of Des Moines no longer licenses individual Taxi or Limousine drivers.

Drivers who currently hold a Taxi, Limousine or combination license for calendar year 2015 will be allowed to operate under that license until December 31, 2015. No new licenses, for individual drivers, will be issued by the City of Des Moines after April 3, 2015. 

Licensing individual drivers is now the obligation of the various Vehicle For Hire Companies (VHC) operating in the City of Des Moines under the recently revised Chapter 126, Article V - Vehicle Transportation Services section of the Des Moines Municipal Code. 

Para-Transit (Individual company licensing was not changed). Companies will have to license their drivers in accordance with the new requirements.

Taxicab Companies & Limousine Companies have been added to a category called Vehicle for Hire (VHC) Companies and will operate Transportation Service Vehicles (TSV). 


Applications for a Certificate to operate in the City of Des Moines as a Vehicle for Hire Company are available at the Traffic & Transportation Office, 2nd floor, City Hall.

A Vehicle for Hire Company (VHC) conducts business under a City of Des Moines Certificate. We will assist the company during the application process and in meeting their annual reporting requirements and annual renewal. Also see City of Des Moines Municipal Code (specifically Chapter 126, Article V., Vehicle Transportation Services).

Official List - Licensed Taxi, Limousine & Para-Transit Companies in the City of Des Moines.