Licenses, Permits, and Applications
Please note some documents may still show our old address. We are located at 400 E Court Avenue, 2nd Floor, Des Moines, Iowa.
Traffic & Transportation issues several types of licenses & permits such as:
- Areaway permits may be required for encroachments into City Right-of-Way such as awnings, projecting signs, steps, and basements.
- Contact Traffic and Transportation at (515) 283-4973 regarding more information on this permit.
House Moving Permits
- Annual House Moving Company Licenses and individual House Moving Permits are only issued to House Movers with current annual licenses in Des Moines.
- Contact Traffic and Transportation at (515) 283-4973 regarding more information on this license and permit.
Oversize Vehicle Moving Permits:
- Moving Permit Application Instructions - click here.
- Moving Permit Application - click here.
Parking Permits *Note: Effective July 1, 2016 a 72 hour notice is required to process a permit
Special Parking Permits are issued to reserve parking, typically at parking meters
- Special Parking Permit Instructions - click here.
- Special Parking Permit Application - click here.
- For information regarding Residential Parking Permits contact Traffic and Transportation at (515) 283-4973.
Pedicabs are a device having up to four wheels that transports passengers. Operators must obtain an annual pedicab license to operate in the city.
- Pedicab license application is available here.
- Pedicab license application instructions are available here.
- City code for Pedicabs is available here.
Vehicle for Hire (VHC) Licenses:
Vehicles for Hire included taxis, limousines, and paratransit vehicles.
- Vehicle for Hire License Applications (Taxis and Limousines Companies) are available here.
- Vehicle for Hire License Applications (Paratransit Companies) are available here.
- Annual Report instructions and forms are available here.
- A list of currently licensed Vehicle for Hire companies can be found here.
- City Code for Vehicle for Hire and Paratransit Licenses is available here.
As of April 6, 2016, the City of Des Moines no longer licenses individual Taxi, Limousine, or Paratransit drivers. Licensing individual drivers is the obligation of the various VHC operating in the City of Des Moines as outlined in Chapter 126, Article V - Vehicle Transportation Services, section of the Des Moines Municipal Code.