Due to renovations some offices have moved, please check the City Hall Move page for more information.
  • 2018 Pet Licenses

    2018 Animal Licenses & Dog Park permits are now on sale. All dogs & cats 6 months old and older need to have a pet license. Dog park permits allow entry into all 3 of the City's dog parks.

    Questions? Please contact the City Clerk 283-4209.


    More Information

  • Welcome to the City of Des Moines

    A major center for insurance, financial services and publishing, Des Moines has a lot to offer, such as affordable housing, short commute times, a diverse population, and was also recently named one of the best places to live on the Silicon Prairie.


    More Info

  • Spotlight on Des Moines

    Gray's Lake Park features the 1,400 foot-long Kruidenier Trail pedestrian bridge and a 1.9 mile trail around the lake. "...Residents can walk, bike, boat or fish -- right in the very heart of downtown," said Des Moines Mayor Frank Cownie.


    View Article

  • Iowa State Capitol

    The Iowa State Capitol is among the most beautiful state capitols in the country with its 275-foot, 23-karat gold leafed dome anchoring the east end of downtown Des Moines.


    More Info

  • East Village

    Historic East Village is an eclectic neighborhood of restored historic properties, beautiful streetscapes, and urban living at the foot of the State Capitol.


    More Info

  • World Food Prize

    Des Moines is home to the World Food Prize the foremost international award recognizing the achievements in advancing human development by improving the quality, quantity or availability of food in the world.


    More Info

Alleys & Right-of-Ways


Vacation and Conveyance of Alley and Street Right-of-Way


Right-of-way includes the paved portion of a street and a "border area" between the pavement and the adjoining property.  The "border area" refers to the area which is also typically occupied with utilities, fire hydrants, street signs, sidewalks, etc.


Requests for the vacation and conveyance of alley and street right-of-way are reviewed by the City staff and the requests are presented to the City's Plan and Zoning Commission and City Council for approval or denial. If the request is approved by the City Council, then the Real Estate Division completes the conveyance process. If an alley or street right-of-way has already gone through this process and is vacated by ordinance, then you only need to submit your request to the Real Estate Division for consideration by sending an email. Residential zoned rights-of-way are sold at nominal value and Commercial zoned rights-of-way are sold at fair market value.


Complete the Right-of-Way Vacation & Conveyance Request form to initiate a request for vacation and conveyance of alley or street right-of-way.


For further information about the sales process, email your questions or call (515) 283-4561.