Education and Training Options
The Des Moines Civil and Human Rights Commission has a responsibility set out in its ordinance to provide training regarding discrimination law and issues. We can provide presentations for a wide variety of age groups and focus each presentation on your groups’ specific needs or interests.
All training areas cover issues in relationship to a difference in treatment in the areas of: Age, Race, Color, Creed, Sex, national Origin, Ancestry, Religion, Disability, Sexual Orientation, and Familial Status.
Email Us if you have any questions concerning training.
29th Annual Symposium of the Des Moines Civil and Human Rights Commission: America Where Are We Now?
When: Wednesday, March 18, 2015 from 8:00am - 4:00pm
Where: Des Moines University's Student Education Center, 3200 Grand Avenue, Des Moines (link to campus map)
Cost: There is no charge and lunch is provided!
Registration: Online registration is available HERE.
Program: View the detailed program HERE.
Continuing Education Units: Human Resources and Realtors Continuing Education Units application pending approval.
Some of the sessions included:
- Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity
- Equal Employment Opportunity
- Civil and Human Rights Issues of the Day
- Human Trafficking
- Racial Profiling
If you have questions about upcoming symposiums: Contact Mikel Johnson at MJJohnson@dmgov.org or call 515-237-1482
Sponsors of the 29th Annual Symposium include:
- Des Moines Civil and Human Rights Commission (Presenting Sponsor)
- Des Moines Branch NAACP
- Des Moines Area Realtors
- Des Moines University (Presenting Sponsor)
- Greater Des Moines Friends of Human Rights, Inc. (Presenting Sponsor $1,000+)
- Region VII United States Housing and Urban Development FHEO (Presenting Sponsor)
- Central Iowa Society of Human Resource Management (Presenting Sponsor $1,000+)
- West Des Moines Human Rights Commission