Park and Recreation Board
The Park and Recreation Board oversees planning and administration of City parks, cemeteries, recreation centers and various programs.
The Park and Recreation Board meets the fourth Tuesday of each month at 5:00 p.m. For more information on Board term, current members and meetings, click on the links below. To speak to a park representative, call (515) 237-1386.
Friends of Des Moines Parks
The mission of Friends of Des Moines Parks is to preserve, protect, improve and promote the use of Des Moines parks, greenways and recreational programs for the benefit of all neighborhoods and citizens.
The vision of Friends of Des Moines Parks is to strive to become a primary advocate and information resource for parks, greenways and recreational programming in our City.
- We are committed to building a strong and unified coalition that will advocate on behalf of all citizens.
- We will endeavor to create strategic alliances with government and with other organizations.
- We will broadly represent the demographics of our City.
- We will be a fiscally sound and responsible organization that fully funnels contributions back into the community.
For more information about Friends of Des Moines Parks, visit their website.
Trails and Greenways Committee
The purpose of the Trails and Greenways Committee is to assist and advise as appropriate the City of Des Moines Park and Recreation Board and the Polk County Conservation Board, as well as staff from both entities and other government agencies concerning:
- The multi-use trail system - its promotion, development, enhancement, connectivity, maintenance and expansion throughout Polk County for both recreation and fitness users, as well as commuter users and the effective use of public corridors for bicycle and pedestrian needs; and
- The greenway corridors - their preservation and protection, as well as integration of greenways, riparian areas, water trails and public lands to create a system of open space for viewing wildlife and creating healthy recreation opportunities that enhance our quality of life.
For information about meeting times, agendas, minutes and documents, please visit Trails and Greenways Committee Web Page.
For more information, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.