Purchasing Police Records
Public records may be requested by filling out an Application for Public Records. This form along with the fee may be submitted in person to the Records Section located on the 1st floor of the Des Moines Police Department, 25 East 1st Street, Des Moines, Iowa 50309, from 7:00 AM to 7:00 PM, seven days a week, or by mail to the attention of the Records Section at the address above. If you have questions, please call the Records Section at (515) 283-4896.
Many items can be processed the same day the request is received. However, audio recordings and photos may take three to five days to process.
|Police Case Report
|Dispatch Tape Recording
|In-Car Video Recording
Public Fingerprinting – Des Moines Police Department
Des Moines Police Department public fingerprinting information:
· Fingerprinting is scheduled by appointment only.
· Hours scheduled by appointment are available from 2:45 pm – 3:45 pm Monday – Friday (except federal holidays). Call (515) 283-4804 to request an appointment.
· Please allow at least 15 minutes for fingerprint processing.
· Cost is $10 per card paid by cash or check only. No credit or debit cards are accepted. Fingerprint cards are provided at no additional fee.
· You must bring a valid, non-expired government issued picture ID with you (adult and/or minors); we will not fingerprint anyone without proper identification.
· Persons under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a Parent or Legal Guardian.
Fingerprinting is done in the Identification Section, located on the second floor, room #208, of the Des Moines Police Department, 25 East 1st Street, Des Moines, Iowa 50309. Please call (515) 283-4804 with any further question or to schedule an appointment.
Law Enforcement Data Information and Disclaimer
The crimemapping.com map shows a picture of recent crimes in the City of Des Moines, Iowa. The information you will see on the website is for information purposes only and not for commercial use.
Some Important Information about the Data
You can choose the following crime types: Burglary, Robbery, Assault, and Gun/Weapons Violations.
You can view one or all of the above crime types for a particular time period, up to 180 days. The map is updated daily.
You can search for crimes near an address like “25 E 1st St, Des Moines, IA” or near an intersection like “E 1st St and Court Ave, Des Moines, IA”.
The points on the map represent approximate locations and are not exact.
For Best Results
- Select “Small Icons” in the icon view
- View 30 days or less of crime history
- Select a specific address or intersection with a 1 mile radius
The crimes on the map show the information first reported to the police department. Crime type and details about an incident may change based on information from follow-up investigations.
This site is used to provide information to you about crimes in your neighborhood and should not be used for in-depth crime analysis. Not all crimes are represented, and for a variety of reasons not all crimes can be represented on a map.
The Des Moines Police Department is pleased to provide this map interface to law enforcement crime data. We welcome your comments or suggestions. If you would like to offer feedback regarding this website, please send an email to email@example.com. If you have any information regarding a specific crime, please contact the Detective Bureau at 515-283-4864.
Judy A. Bradshaw
Chief of Police
Disclaimer: The City of Des Moines makes no warranties, either expressed or implied, concerning the accuracy, completeness, reliability, or suitability of the information for any other particular use. Furthermore, the City of Des Moines assumes no liability associated with the use or misuse of this information.
Note to Dial-up Users: Due to the volume of data being communicated, a user with connection speeds of 28.8kbps or slower may experience some delays in transmission.
Go to map
Online Access to Traffic Accident/Crash Reports
As a service to our residents and the business community, Des Moines Police Department is proud to announce a partnership with BuyCrash.com to provide online access to all Des Moines Iowa accident reports. All accident reports will be available 72 hours after the accident occurs (or sooner if completed) except for accidents involving a fatality and accidents under investigation. Fatal accident reports must be purchased at the Des Moines Police Department.
All requests from businesses for Des Moines Iowa accident reports will be referred to Buycrash.com. Des Moines Police will not provide accident reports to businesses unless a specific accident report cannot be located on the BuyCrash.com website, or is a walk-in public records request.
Follow the below instructions to locate a report:
* Go to BuyCrash.com and click on the State of Iowa
* Select Agency of Des Moines
* Click Search
* Enter Report Number OR Last Name and Date of Collision
* Click the Add to Cart check box for the desired report and click the Next Step button
* Fill in the credit card information and click the Place Order Now button
* Click Download Crash Report button to view your report
If you are unable to locate a report through a report through Buycrash.com, please contact our customer service representative, Cindy Reavis, at 515-283-4896.