Due to renovations some offices have moved, please check the City Hall Move page
for more information.
Recycling Collection Day
What time should I put my recyclables out?
- All collection carts should be placed curbside by 7:00 am and no earlier than 5:00 pm the day before scheduled collection.
Start Recycling Service
- Recycling services are available to all residents in the City of Des Moines.
- For information on the program or to request a Recycle cart you may contact the Department of Public Works, 24-Hour Customer Service Center at 283-4950 or you may request a cart online Recycling Request Form
Recycle Collection Rates
- The cost of recycling service is already included in the monthly sanitation fee that is billed to the Water Works Bill.
- The cart is the property of the City of Des Moines and is assigned to the property.
- Please leave the cart behind when you move out of your residence.
Replacing Lost or Stolen Recycle Cart
- There is no charge for replacement or additional recycle carts.
- To request a Recycle cart you may contact the Department of Public Works, 24-Hour Customer Service Center at 283-4950 or you may request a cart online using the Recycling Request Form
Broken Recycle Cart Lid or Body
- To report a damaged Recycle cart lid, please contact our Department of Public Works 24-Hr Customer Service Center at 283-4950 or complete a Recycle Request Form
Before Recycle Collection
- Place Recycle cart at your designated collection point no later than 7:00 am on the scheduled collection day and no earlier than 5:00 pm the day before the scheduled collection.
After Recycle Collection
- Remove all collection carts from the designated collection point after collection.
Placement of Recycle Collection Cart
- Put your recyclables inside the cart
- Close the cart lid. This prevents the scattering of debris by wind and animals.
- Cart should be placed within 18 inches of the street/curb
- Metal bar should face the street
- At least 3 feet away from permanent structures (Mailboxes, walls, utility poles, trees or low hanging limbs, etc)
- At least 3 feet away from extra trash items (other collection carts, yard waste bags or yard bundles)
- On a level surface
- Away from parked vehicles (You may need to use your drive approach)
Missed Recycle Collection
- You can report a missed recycle collection by calling the Public Works 24-Hour Customer Service Center at 283-4950 or by completing a Recycle Request Form.
- What you should know before you report a missed collection:
- Collection carts must be curbside at 7 AM on collection day.
- Please assure this is the correct week for recycle collection.
- Missed collections must be reported before 5 pm the day after collection.
- Recycle carts put out after 7 AM on collection day will be subject to a $25 collection fee.
- Collections reported later than 5 PM the following day will be subject to a $25 collection fee (added to your monthly water bill).
- When the holiday listed below is on a weekday and the recycle collection falls in that week, the collections will be delayed one day the remainder of that week.
- New Years Day
- Memorial Day
- 4th of July
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
Holiday Recycling Reminders
- Wrapping paper: if its paper and tears, it is recyclable
- Cardboard boxes, are recyclable
- Ribbons, Foil wrap or bows are NOT recyclable
- Hard plastic 'shells' and Styrofoam are NOT recyclable
What Goes In the Recycle Collection Cart?
- Newspapers (including glossy inserts)
- Mixed Paper (including junk mail, even envelopes with clear plastic inserts, phone books, and glossy magazines
- Shredded paper (must be enclosed in a paper sack or box. You can even use cereal or pop can box that is taped closed)
- Toilet paper and paper towel cardboard rolls
- Gift bags with handles cut off, paper gift wrap (Does NOT include metallic, foil, mylar or glittery gift wrap)
- Cardboard (broken down, flattened and cut to fit inside the cart)
- Plastic Containers (including bottles, yogurt or margarine tubs without lids)
- Glass Containers (all colors)
- Tin/Aluminum Cans (no need to remove labels
- Paper Food Cartons (milk, including soy, chocolate, and cream, juice boxes, protein drinks, wine, egg substitutes, soup and broth)
- Wire Clothes Hangers
- Empty Aerosol Cans
Do NOT Put in Recycle Collection Cart
- Yard Waste
- Garden Waste
- Hazardous Waste
- Plastic Bags of any sort
- Plastics: hoses, pipes, wiring, furniture, polystyrene, food storage containers, sour cream, cottage cheese or cool whip containers
- The following papers: tissues, toilet paper, paper towels, photo paper, photos and carbon paper
- Aluminum Foil
- Metals: pots, pans or utensils
- Paper contaminated with food, coated paper coffee and fast food cups and pizza boxes-(cut off lid and recycle)
- Hard cover books
- Metallic, foil, mylar or glittery gift wrap
- Containers that once held motor oil or antifreeze
- Berry containers
- Convenience store cups
- Tupperware and food storage containers
- Clothes/Clothing any type