What is SCRUB?
SCRUB stands for SPRING CLEANUP to REDUCE URBAN BLIGHT. It is the city's mission to enhance the City’s neighborhoods by allowing residents an opportunity to remove yard waste and debris from homes and yards to reduce the blighted areas with the City.
What kind of SCRUB events does the City of Des Moines sponsor?
- Mega SCRUB: A SCRUB Event that is hosted by select neighborhoods within their section of the City. Any Des Moines Resident may participate.
- Transfer Station SCRUB: An alternate drop off location used for SCRUB events. The Metro Waste Transfer Station is located at 4198 Delaware Ave. SCRUB days and hours are posted on the SCRUB Calendar.
- Compost Site SCRUB: A drop off site designated for yard and tree debris during SCRUB events. The Metro Waste Compost Site is located at 1601 Harriett Street. SCRUB days and hours are posted on the SCRUB Calendar.
Hunger knows no 'season'
Hunger happens 365 days of the year!
PLEASE join us in our fight to help end hunger.
The City of Des Moines, Department of Public Works
will be hosting a food drive at each of our SCRUB Events.
We will be collecting non-perishable food items. All items will be delivered to the DMARC Move the Food Program, to be distributed to various sites throughout the city.
SCRUB Event Reminders Free Drop off - Delays Possible
- Proof of Residency Required - Bring a photo id or current utility bill.
- Before each event please review the SCRUB Guidelines, Transfer Station Guidelines, or Compost Site Guidelines.
- SCRUB's now offer Household Hazardous Waste Disposal. See list of items. (MEGA SCRUB sites only)
- SCRUB'S are free to the citizens of Des Moines, therefore you may experience longer wait times based on participation.