Des Moines Governance Guide and Des Moines Strategic Plan 2015-2020-2030
The City’s mission, vision and values provide the framework for the Strategic Plan’s five 2020 goals:
- Financially Sound City;
- Sustainable Community: Our Neighborhoods, Our Downtown;
- High Performing City Organization;
- Upgraded City Infrastructure and Buildings; and
- Livable Community: Expanded Leisure, Arts and Cultural Opportunities.
Strategic Plan 2015 clearly communicates Mayor and City Council priorities to Des Moines’ residents and businesses. Strategic Plan 2015 stays on task with PlanDSM as planning continues to address future needs and will inform development of the 2016-2017 budget and capital improvements planning for the next five (5) fiscal years.
Some Background: In June, July, and August of this year, Governance Workshop and Strategic Planning Workshops were held by the Des Moines City Council. These were public sessions. The council focused on three areas:
- Governance, including a Code of Conduct and Civility, and Mayor and City Council Protocols,
- Development of a 15-year vision statement, mission statement, including Principles, Core Values Statement, five-year goals, embodied in the Strategic Plan 2015-2020-2030
- Top and high priorities for a 2015-2016 policy agenda
Next Steps: At the October 26, 2015 Des Moines City Council meeting, the council received the full documentation of the Des Moines Governance Guide and Des Moines Strategic Plan 2015-2010-2030 Final Reports and recommendations by the Mayor and City Council. These documents are available here or in the City Clerk’s Office.
On November 9, 2015 final consideration and approval is planned. Also, a mid-year report to the Mayor and council of progress on the 2015-2016 Action Agenda is planned in spring 2016.
Related Document Links: