Licenses, Permits, and Applications
Offices located at City Hall, 400 Robert D Ray Drive, 2nd floor.
Traffic & Transportation issues several types of licenses & permits such as:
- Areaway permits may be required for encroachments into City Right-of-Way such as awnings, projecting signs, steps, and basements.
- Contact Traffic and Transportation at (515) 283-4973 regarding more information on this permit.
House Moving Permits
- Annual House Moving Company Licenses and individual House Moving Permits are only issued to House Movers with current annual licenses in Des Moines.
- Contact Traffic and Transportation at (515) 283-4973 regarding more information on this license and permit.
Oversize Vehicle Moving Permits:
*Note: Three (3) business days (following the application submittal) is required to process the permit.*
Special Parking Permits are issued to reserve parking, typically at parking meters
- Special Parking Permit Application Instructions
- Apply for a Special Parking Permit.
- For information regarding Residential Parking Permits contact Traffic and Transportation at (515) 283-4973.
Pedicabs are a device having up to four wheels that transports passengers. Operators must obtain an annual pedicab license to operate in the city.
Traffic Analysis Documents:
*Note*: The City of Des Moines no longer regulates or licenses Vehicles for Hire companies or paratransit companies. If you would like more information on this change, please click here.
If you would like information regarding 2015 Taxi/Limo Driver's License Refunds, please click here.